When it comes to football, much of the craze is generated by the great stars. The same trend has continued in the present day as well. In recent times the two of the greatest stars of the present era are undoubtedly Lionel Messi from Argentina and Cristiano Ronaldo from Portugal. Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo both are the most valuable players of the world. The later beat the former to have scored 100 UEFA champions league goals. However the race continues. Let us first take stock of how this prolific duo how they fared one on one against one another.
He is the only footballer ever to have won the Ballon d’Or award 5 times. Lionel Messi is an absolute phenomenon. Though diminutive in stature this Argentine super star has been Barcelona’s main player for a long time now. He has put in some spellbinding performances in the Champions League and La Liga. He has been exhibiting his dramatic skills in all competitions including the UEFA Champions league as well.
Ronaldo along side with Messi are one of the two most outstanding football stars of the generation. This Portuguese superstar goal scoring exploits have been mind boggling considering the fact that he plays as a winger on most occasions. After moving to Real Madrid, he has taken his game to a whole new level .He has become one of the best goal scorers ever to play the game.
Recent performances of the stars head to head:
Both the to superstars of the game have both have long surpassed the Raul Gonzalez’s goals total in the competition. Both Messi and Ronaldo by the end of 2014-15 champions’ league were at the same level of 77 goals each. The following are some of the comparative performances of both as listed UEFA.com. This particular lists consists some of the most striking statistics worth taking note of. It is true that Ronaldo is the first player to have scored 100 times in UEFA club competition. Now he leads 103-94 over his Argentine compatriot.
- Lionel Messi ended up in the loosing 3 times even after having scored in games in the competition.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese Super star scored twice or more on 29 different occasions
- In terms of hat tricks the super stars are locked at 7-7
- It was seen that Cristiano Ronaldo did not score up until his 30th game in the competition
- He was also the one who had notched in both round of 16 legs five seasons running until 2016/17
- However Cristiano Ronaldo is the first player to 50 knockout goals
- Both the stars have hit the target once in two separate finals
- Both of them have 9 goals against one club: Ronaldo v Bayern Munchen and Messi v Arsenal
To conclude we can therefore say that it is indeed a fascinating comparison